At Total Physio we strongly believe that physical activity and exercise has many health benefits, and it becomes even more important as we age. It helps to improve your physical and mental health which will help to maintain your independence and quality of life.
BENEFITS OF EXERCISE FOR AGEING ADULTS:
- Prevention of Diseases: Studies have shown regular physical activity can help prevent many common diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases (e.g., hypertension) and diabetes. It also helps to prevent weight gain, osteoporosis and joint pain. Exercise improves your overall immune function, which is important for seniors as their immune systems are often compromised. Exercise also maintains and improves respiratory function. Even light exercise, such as walking can be a powerful tool for preventable disease management.
- Improved Mental Health: The mental health benefits of exercise are nearly endless. Our body produces endorphins (the “feel good hormone”) during physical activity, which acts as stress reliever and leaves you feeling happy and satisfied. In addition, exercise has often been linked to improve sleep, which is especially important for older adults who often suffer from insomnia and disrupted sleep patterns.
- Decreased risks of Falls: Older adults are at a higher risk of falls, which can prove detrimental for maintaining independence. Exercise improves strength and flexibility, which also helps to improve balance and coordination and reduces the risk of Falls. Seniors can take longer to recover from falls, so anything that helps to prevent them in the first place is critical.
- Social Engagement: Exercise can be made into a fun social event. Maintaining strong social ties is important for aging adults to avoid feelings of loneliness or depression.
- Improved Cognitive function: Regular physical activity can improve cognitive function. Countless studies suggest a lower risk of dementia for physically active individuals, regardless of when you begin a routine.
The human body responds to exercise, no matter what age, so it’s never too late to start.
SeniorFit classes: We run these fun and social classes Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. They include endurance, strengthening, coordination, balance and stretching exercises.
These classes have a duration of 45 minutes and are in a larger group setting. The exercises are held standing but the room offers also handrails for support.
We are holding the classes near the Balgowlah Stockland’s mall, so it’s very easy to park, you can get your shopping done or socialise over a cup of tea.
Balance Fit classes: These classes are held in a smaller group (maximum of 4 participants) and includes strengthening and balance exercises in sitting and standing.
The duration of the class is 30 minutes and perfect for clients who feel more comfortable in a smaller group setting.
One on One sessions: We can also offer one on one sessions with a Physiotherapist or Exercise Physiologist. These exercise sessions will be tailored to your level and your individual needs.
Our classes are run by a qualified physiotherapist and are health fund rebatable.
You require a physiotherapy assessment and a clearance from your GP if necessary.
For more information on any of the above classes, please contact our team on 02 9907 0321.